Name:
Location: Stanford, California, United States

Monday, April 20, 2009

First thing first. Write a letter.

I never knew there was support for everybody out there except the between-20-and-30-young-independent-adult age group. Countless groups for mothers new and old, none for daughters only. (There are mixed reading clubs.) I guess we are supposed to be in the best years of our lives (which is definitely true), healthy and confident and likely financially independent. Poster images! This then got me wondering what the stats for depression among different age groups would be. Do I remember it being highest, or starts from ~25-year-olds in college? Or am I just making that up because I'm so convinced by my impression?

It occurs to me that there are so many new things popping right out between my mum and I that halts the illusion that we may share any understanding on any thing. Anything else to test my tolerance? This may just mean that I have to start from the bottom up assuming our relationship has, for reasons that I may know and may even have regrettably but inevitably engineered, gone to shreds. The question remains whether I should try harder? What am I trying for? I'm even getting more emotionally independent from mum (although the fact I'm writing this may suggest otherwise, but just slightly. Believe me.). It's helpful, though, to adopt a constructive perspective not unlike healing a tragically wounded and therefore vicious child who also hurtles personal abusives under assumptions so glaringly wrong. But go away negativism!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home